When Michael Goodman uploaded a video about the things he hate about the Philippines, I admired his honesty. Sadly, instead of taking it constructively and considering it as a wake up call, most Pinoys took it the other way around. As usual, they made a big fuss about it, even called to "black list" the honest guy. What the fuck?! The guy was just pointing out the obvious things that most of us overlook and considered as "ah okay lang". What if that was a Filipino dude who made a video like that? Would that be viral too? Will he be black listed too? Ah shit.
Well anyway highway, if he had 20 reasons, I guess I'll make 21 more. I love the Philippines, and you know why? Because Philippines is where;
- Doctors, teachers, even engineers here in the Philippines are studying nursing courses so they can be nurses abroad.
- Athletes with good looks even if they haven't won a championship are worshiped and praised rather than those who brought glory to our country countless times. (Remembering the Phil. Dragon Boat Team compared to the controversial nympho Azkals)
- All kinds of animals are edible. Bats are "fished" from the skies in Leyte, cats are stuffed into "siopaos", dogs are served in plates as "aso-cena", the only inedible part of a chicken are its beak and claws, beetles are sauteed to serve as "pulutan", well the list could go on.
- The government can be considered as a religious institution because it could make its people pray for miracles.
- Most Pinoys panicked when "pan-de-sal" went up by one peso, but when an ordinary Php50.00 ice cream was released, people went hysterical just to buy one. (Remembering Magnum, an ice cream made of 90% status symbol and 10% ice cream)
- Call center agents have higher salary than the teachers, nurses, engineers. I guess that's the main reason why the number of up-to-second-year-college-only-students is rising; most call centers accept applicants as long as they passed their two years in college.
- Indians who lend money to the people are called "bombay" because of their smell which is described as oniony, and they are well respected by Pinoys.
- Clean and drinkable water is sold. Hey, and its Php30.00 per gallon here in Manila!
- Rush hour is when nothing rushes or moves in EDSA.
- Every street can be converted into a basketball court.
- Students pay more for schooling than what they'll earn after they graduate.
- Starbucks coffee is more expensive than gasoline but most Pinoys who have cars and complain about the rising prices of gas still prefer to drive to a Starbucks to have some coffee.
- Even those people living in slums can have their own iPhone or iPad (God made man, and everything else is made in China), and wear Gucci, Guess, Levis, and other branded apparels (ukay-ukay).
- Traffic has a different meaning. If the usual traffic is the movement of vehicles or the movement of audiences and visitors of a certain website, traffic in the Philippines is when vehicles don't move along the highway.
- Actions stars and boxing champ are elected to position though they don't have any idea, background, or appropriate education on politics.
- A president is elected because of the magic of his dead parents and not because he accomplished anything before running for president.
- Everyone and EVERYTHING is spoofed.
- The police force has a BIG shortage on guns despite the BIG budget for national security
- Your fellowmen laugh at you if you wear the colors of your country. Try to go to school wearing a red, blue, white and yellow attire, let's see if you'll last a day.
- Everybody wants to leave the country. Well, if that could be granted, at least it'll make a more spacious Philippines.
- You'll see thousands of beautiful islands with beautiful natural formations, and the hospitality of the Pinoys are incomparable to the rest of the world.
Well, there it is. How about you? What do you love about the Philippines? :)